Thursday, January 2, 2014

Seeing the Light


Way off topic post for today……

Light Bulbs


I heard on the news last night that our government is banning all incandescent light bulbs from being sold here in the good ole USA.  Once a retailer is sold out, they are not permitted to restock.  Let's not get started on that topic or the fact that CFLs contain mercury or any of the other topics related to "silly things done by the US congress".

Today I went out & bought some light bulbs :)

I purchased Sylvania Double Life incandescent bulbs in the 3 pack for $4.98.  Also purchased were one GE Reveal "Bright from the Start" CFL bulb for $8.98 and one Utilitech Pro warm white LED bulb for $14.98.  All bulbs tested were equal to 40 watts and purchased in the bathroom vanity mirror style.

Light----The LED bulb seems much brighter, but it's also a cooler (blue) light.  The Reveal CFL seems pretty close to the incandescent in warm lighting, although I can see the inside swirl part through the bulb exterior.

Heat----The CFL & incandescent bulbs are hot to the touch (incandescent hotter by far).  The LED bulb is cool to the touch.  Even the base, which surprises me as my other LED bulbs are really hot at the base.

Start Up----Incandescent & CFL brighten instantaneously (I did purchase the "bright from the start" CFL).  My older CFL's have a 2 second delay.  LED has about a 1 second delay.





CONCLUSION----I will use the incandescent bulbs until I run out, then have my husband install a different vanity mirror (one without the light fixtures directly attached to the mirror).  If that doesn't happen I will make due with the CFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment