Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Social Media Marketing - Introduction

This post and the next few will be a change of pace/topic for the Fractal Satisfaction blog.

Much like school children are encouraged to write an essay in September called "How I Spent My Summer Vacation", I am writing an essay that could be titled "What I Learned in Social Media Class".

First of all I'd like to say that in the Social Media world I fall into a group called "Boomers 2".  Born between 1955 and 1965, Boomers 2 came of age during the 1970s.  I am not what is referred to as a "digital native".  That term describes all the babies born today in first world countries.  Pretty much all the babies that were born in the past ten years.

So how do I as a "Boomer 2" compete in the social media realm with "Digital Natives"?  I go to college and take a class!!!


CIS 254 - Social Media Marketing - 3 credits

What is social media marketing in layman's terms?

SMM is using network based marketing to promote what you are doing by gaining attention and sharing.

When using social media you MUST:

  • have a great product
  • present a call to action
  • add value to the conversation
  • remember social media is a two way street
  • encourage peer-to-peer communication

Please remember:

A "marketing plan" means having specific goals that can be tested.


Next post:  The four C's of the Engagement Process


No comments:

Post a Comment