Wednesday, February 19, 2014

R.I.P. Pixel Bender

Adobe Axed Pixel Bender

Yep, in Photoshop CS6 Adobe took the Oil Paint Filter from Pixel Bender, built it into Photoshop and promptly dumped everything else. I found that disappointing – I kind of like Pixel Bender – in particular some of the fractal effects that you can create with it. I also have a Droste filter for it that is awesome and that I use from time to time.
Since I plan to keep Photoshop CS5 I’ll still have access to Pixel Bender – thank you very much Adobe!
Just in case you’re interested – the Pixel Bender extension won’t work with versions of Photoshop later than Photoshop CS5. Again, I wrote a DPS blog post on Pixel Bender, how to install it and what you’ll find when you get it here.

If you'd like to read more from this article please click the link below:
http://digital-photography-school.com/3-reasons-to-keep-your-old-photoshop-version

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I found this forum thread in looking for fractal software - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1486803?start=0&tstart=0

    It talks about an update for Pixel Bender, called "Pixel Bender Accelerator", that will run on later versions of Photoshop.

    Just thought I'd pass on the info!

    P.S. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely be checking into that!

    ReplyDelete